Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DC Weekend Kick-off at Jaleo

So I arrived in DC on Friday evening, with just enough time to share a bottle of red wine with my friend Emily, do a little catching up and then hit the sack so as to rest up for the big weekend.

Saturday started like this...

Emily suggested this fabulous tapas restaurant, Jaleo, for brunch. At first I was skeptical...tapas? For brunch? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE tapas. I also love to eat. A lot. Particularly at breakfast (I mean, it's the most important meal of the day). Anyway, we got this cute little table right in front of the window so we could people-watch as we ate (I adore sidewalk cafes/restaurants for this very reason). We started off with a Mimosa (duh) and an order of Pan con Tomate, topped with Manchego. Pan con Tomate is a very traditional Spanish tapa. It's basically rustic bread that has been smeared (for lack of a better term) with fresh garlic and a juicy, ripe tomato. This version was topped with one of my favorite cheeses OF ALL TIME-- Manchego. Manchego is a sheep's milk cheese from the La Mancha region of Spain. It. Is. DELICIOUS. Some people compare it to feta, although it's not as salty. In any case, if you have never tried Manchego (shame on you!), I highly recommend that you run out this very minute and get some.


Next, we ordered Revuelto de queso y set--scrambled eggs with chef selected wild mushrooms and cheese. I forgot to ask what kind of cheese was in the dish, but whatever was used was wonderful. I also forgot to take a picture. But don't worry- I DID get a shot of another brunch highlight--complimentary roasted garlic in olive oil and rosemary with fresh bread. Needless to say, I was in heaven. While there were so many other dishes we wanted to try (such as pancakes made with Spanish extra virgin olive oil--the more carbs, the better), we were actually full after our two dishes. We also knew we were headed for a day of sipping and tasting at the MCES, so we needed to pace ourselves.

Exhibit editorial to come...

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm salivating! I love eating a meal of tapas - little tastes of many dishes. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. favorite cheese in the world - manchego

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in DC and still haven't been to Jaleo! It is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete