Thursday, May 20, 2010

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Baby, I’m a believer (cue the Monkees). Check these out.

Gorgeous, greenhouse tomatoes. I mean, look at the color. Now, I know tomatoes are very much a “love it or hate it” fruit. As in, I love it but I know lots of people that hate it. I get it. I’ve had one or two run-ins with a questionable cherry tomato, but there are just SO MANY reasons why I love tomatoes (like this one. And this one). But as of today, I have a new love. Slow-roasted tomatoes. I don’t know what it is about roasting that brings out the best flavors in food, but it might just be my new favorite cooking method.

I didn’t exactly cut these tomatoes in all the same size (or shape, for that matter), but I don’t suppose it mattered. I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper, lined up the tomatoes, drizzled them with some EVOO, followed with a generous sprinkling of sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a finished with a pinch of sugar. Into the oven at 275 degrees and time for waiting. And waiting. And more waiting. And peeking through the oven door the check progress. And resisting opening the door for fear of releasing the contained heat that is so clearly working its magic. And salivating.

Finally, when I just couldn't stand it any more, I took the tomatoes out and barely waited for them to cool before popping one in my mouth. Oh...my....gosh....the scorched mouth was SO worth it.

The flavor is so amazing, I don't even know how to describe it. I'm talking sweet, juicy, melt-in-your mouth amazing (I mean, I guess that counts as a description). Disclaimer: Ignore the random pita bread and cilantro on the plate; I had more plate than tomatoes and those were the only two things in my fridge that looked remotely decent enough to photograph.

Batch 2

I was so excited about the outcome of my first batch, that I decided to roast the remainder of my tomatoes for dinner. On the menu, Slow-Roasted Tomatoes with Fresh Basil and Parmesan over Bow-Tie Pasta for Husband and Tomato Omelette for moi (watching my girlish figure...doesn't sound nearly as appetizing, does it.

I basically used the same method as before (tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, sugar, EVOO, hot oven, let it do its thing). When I thought they were about ready (just over 2 hours), I did a little taste-test. And then another one. And another one. And before I knew it, I had eaten half of the tomatoes meant for Husband's dinner. Whoops.


I am really looking forward to more trips back to the farmer's market as we get into summer and tomatoes really come into season (visions of brandywine dance in my head). Until then...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney! I love your blog!! Did you skin the tomatoes or leave them skin on? I think I might make that for my hubs one night this week. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks so much. :) I actually intended to leave the skins on, but some of them peeled off as I was cutting. I've read recipes that have them both skinned and un-skinned, so I think you should be good either way! Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete